As one of Canada’s top bedding brands, you can trust us when we say that we at Silk & Snow understand sleep!
We need sleep not only to live well but to survive – but you already knew that, you’re here because you want to make your sleep the best it can possibly be, and we’re happy to help. Although it’s not one-size-sleeps-all, we believe that by using and/or combining some of the tips, tricks and products found in this article will get you on your way to having the best sleep of your life.
Jump to a section…
- Side Effects of an Unhealthy Sleep
- 10 Tips to Improve Sleep
- 7 Benefits of a Healthy Sleep
- S&S Products to Improve Your Sleep
Side Effects of an Unhealthy Sleep
Before we dive into how you can improve the quality of your sleep, let’s first take a look at some of the most common issues. Very few of us fully realize the negative chain reaction that occurs when our body doesn’t get enough of it. For instance, if you wake up feeling fuzzy or groggy, this can take a huge toll on your memory and concentration, causing you to lose both focus and productivity. If a lack of sleep becomes a habit, it has the potential to drastically and negatively affect crucial aspects of your life and wellbeing.
Some short term problems include:
- Lack of alertness
- Daytime sleepiness
- Worsening memory
- Higher stress levels
- Lack of motivation
Some of the most serious problems associated with sleep deprivation are high blood pressure, diabetes, heart attack, heart failure or stroke. Other problems include obesity, depression, and a reduced immune system.
Now that we’ve seen how poorly a lack of sleep can affect our lives – let’s take a look at the best tips to improve your sleep!
10 Tips to Improve Sleep
The key to a perfect sleep isn’t as simple as one key piece of advice or product (although, for some, it may very well be) – more often than not its multiple factors working in tandem. With that in mind, we thought we’d share some tips and tricks that we’ve learned along the way to help get you the sleep you deserve!
- Routine, Routine, Routine!
- Any sleep guide will tell you the exact same thing – stick to a sleep schedule aka get a bedtime! We often underestimate how much our brain absorbs and adheres to a schedule or rhythm if it’s done consistently. This means going to bed and waking up at the same time every day (preferably for 8 hours) – your mind and body will thank you.
- Avoid Large Meals and Alcohol Before Bed
- Don’t go to bed hungry, but don’t go to bed stuffed – the discomfort felt from being too full and/or the need to eat will inevitably cause restlessness. Similarly with alcohol, while it may make you tired at first, it will likely cause stomach discomfort in the middle of the night.
- Create a Restful Environment
- A quiet, dark bedroom at a comfortable temperature is the ideal setting for your mind and body to drift to sleep.
- Choose Your Ideal Bedding + Sleep Position
- When it comes to the quality of your sleep, every aspect of your nightly routine must work in tandem – this includes what you sleep on and how you sleep on it. Comfortable bedding that matches your sleep temperature, and a comfortable pillow that works with your head, neck, and shoulders. A proper pillow (and its fill) is especially important as it directly correlates to your sleeping position (back sleepers should consider thinner pillows to limit neck stress, side sleepers may require a pillow with more loft). Combination sleepers should consider removable shredded memory foam pillows such as The S&S Pillow – as its loft can be adjusted to fit the sleeper’s needs.
- Put Away Smartphones/Electronics
- These keep your mind humming for much longer, as well as tempting you to check and/or send any messages.
- Limit Daytime Naps
- Everyone loves a good nap, but too much of a good thing is a bad thing – especially when it interferes with a good night’s sleep. Take your naps sparingly, save some of those unconscious hours at night when your body needs to recharge the most.
- Do Something Active During the Day
- This one is straightforward. Break a sweat during the day, catch some zz’s during the night!
- Use Your Bed For Sleep
- Much like you can train your brain to adhere to your perfect sleep schedule, the same can be said for only utilizing your bed when you need to sleep. The association your mind and body will feel when they only know your bedroom as its place to recharge.
- Don’t Have Caffeine Late in the Day
- Caffeine can stay in your body for 6-8 hours – elevating your blood and stimulating your mind. When you’re trying to fall asleep, your mind needs to be relaxed, not stimulated. Most people, especially those sensitive to caffeine, should do their best to avoid it after 12pm for a decaffeinated sleep.
- Avoid and/or Quit Tobacco
- Nicotine is a stimulant and, much like caffeine, its stimulating effects will keep you up and your nerves wired for hours after intake.
7 Benefits of a Healthy Sleep
When you give your body the chance to recharge itself, you wake up feeling physically and mentally refreshed each and every day. This helps you remain healthy, happy, and productive for several reasons:
- Sleep keeps your heart healthy:
- A lack of sleep has been linked to worsening blood pressure and cholesterol which are directly tied to heart disease and stroke.
- Sleep reduces the risk of weight gain:
- When we’re sleep deprived our body produces a hormone that boosts our appetite (ghrelin), as well as leptin, the hormone that tells your body it’s full … deadly combo.
- Sleep reduces inflammation:
- Increased stress hormones caused from a lack of sleep raise the levels of inflammation in your body.
- Sleep improves memory:
- Even though your body is asleep, your mind is still very much at work – consolidating and refining the memories of the day and before, if we don’t get enough sleep, there’s no telling what could be lost.
- Sleep improves mood:
- When we’re well rested, our energy levels rise, with that we become happier, more focused, and confident to take on the day! Another factor leading to an improved mood is when we sleep, our brain also processes our emotions, letting your brain be your own therapist as you drift away to sleep.
- Sleep boosts immune system:
- Our cells need sleep too! When we sleep, we give our immune system and proteins the time they need to fight off anything that comes their way.
- Sleep improves athletic performance:
- Whether you’re an olympic athlete, or a backyard badminton player – sleep is scientifically proven to enhance multiple aspects of physical and athletic capabilities.
With these benefits and more, it’s easy to see why sleep is one of, if not, the most important thing we can do in our day. A healthy sleep can positively impact every aspect of our lives, and a lack of it has the potential to severely hurt us physically and mentally.
S&S Products to Improve Your Sleep
At Silk & Snow, we not only want you to be informed on how to improve your sleep, but we work hard to craft products that will do just that. With that in mind, here are a few Silk & Snow products that just might be the key to you catching those zz’s.
Adjustable Shredded Memory Foam PillowA pillow is perhaps the most crucial part of one’s sleep, a healthy and comfortable sleep starts from the pillow. It’s also one of the hardest sleep products to know which one is right for you. That’s why, with our adjustable shredded memory foam pillow, we designed it to be the perfect pillow for everyone! We chose memory foam as the fill due to the conforming qualities it provides the sleeper. However, in order to prevent overheating and to truly make this a pillow ideal for side, back, and stomach sleepers, we made our memory foam fill shredded and adjustable/removable, so you can have a conforming, breathable pillow, with the perfect loft no matter how you sleep! Starting at just $80.
Hand Knitted Weighted BlanketWeighted blankets stimulate the production of the mood-boosting hormone (serotonin), reduces the stress hormone (cortisol), and increases levels of melatonin – the hormone that helps you sleep. The Silk & Snow hand knitted weighted blanket is a fan-favourite for a reason. Containing a 100% fabric hand knitted design, our weighted blanket is not only stress-relieving and breathable, but also completely stunning. Starting at just $180.
Silk Sleep MaskStudies show that using a sleep mask promotes deeper REM sleep, leaving you refreshed and energetic in the morning. They can also help to remedy sleep disorders such as insomnia. Smooth and gentle, our pure silk sleep masks ensure you’ll be able to enjoy a deep, satisfying sleep. Grab yourself one for only $35.
Silk PillowcaseRecommended by dermatologists, hair stylists, and beauty experts, silk pillowcases are proven to be gentler on your hair and skin. Ditch the friction caused by other materials, and enjoy the smooth, soothing benefits of silk pillowcases while having a silky, cool, and luxurious sleep. Starting at just $70.
Latex Mattress Topper Sometimes the main issue with our sleep isn’t us, it’s our mattress. However, replacing your mattress isn’t as easy as it sounds. Whether it’s too much of an expense or too much of a hassle – sometimes the best solution is the perfect mattress topper. The Organic Latex Mattress Topper from Silk & Snow will get you the most comfortable sleep nature has to offer, and comes with an organic cotton cover for easy cleaning. Starting at just $285.
Sleep is everything; it’s how we recharge, calm down, heal, and dictate the strength of our mind and body. It may very well be the most important thing we can choose to do in a single day – as well as being one of the easiest things we can do! However, it is equally as easy to get stuck in bad habits that, little by little, severely impact your day-to-day life. Silk & Snow is what it is because of the importance of sleep and the shared understanding that without a healthy bedtime routine, we’re never going to be the best version of ourselves – and in many cases, far from it.
We hope that we were able to shine some light on the importance of a healthy sleep, the side effects of a poor routine, and the best tips to give you the dreamiest sleep imaginable!